What makes a Habitat Home affordable?
- Houses are sold to homeowners with an affordable mortgage.
- Homeowners and volunteers build the houses in partnership with professionals.
- Financial support of individuals, businesses, and organizations.
Process of Becoming a Homeowner
Thank you for your interest in becoming a homeowner through Lubbock Habitat for Humanity. To ensure that you have the best opportunity possible to qualify for Habitat’s Homeownership Program, it is recommended that you adequately prepare and understand the necessary requirements for qualification prior to submitting an application for consideration. Please thoroughly review the remaining information regarding the process for becoming a Habitat Homeowner.
Habitat for Humanity is a program that empowers individuals/families to build new lives through the stability and security of homeownership. Contrary to public perception, Habitat homes are not given away. Habitat homes are sold at no-interest to individuals/families that qualify based on need, ability to pay, and willingness to partner. Additional requirements include but are not limited to ability to complete sweat equity requirements, a monetary payment to cover the first year’s insurance and taxes, and monthly mortgage payments.
Applicants for homeownership go through an extensive selection process. The process includes but is not limited to a review of financial status, job history, residency, and current living situation. Applicants must meet income guidelines, have acceptable credit, a minimal level of debt, and be willing and able to perform 500 hours of “sweat equity” to help build their own home and those of others. To prepare for your journey to becoming a participant in the Homeownership Program, you can start by:
- Adding your name and contact information to our prospective applicant list. Upon the start of an open application period, you will be notified that applications are available.
- Attend an informational workshop during the open application period. The workshop will provide more in-depth information about the Partnership & Homeownership Programs.
- Check your credit. Checking your credit is vital for your Habitat for Humanity application. Do not be discouraged if your credit is not where you desire for it to be. However, it is important that you are aware of your financial status. We want to assist in your preparation of becoming a successful homeowner and this is part of the process. If there are outstanding past due items, begin the process of resolving the debts by making payment arrangements with creditor(s). If appropriate, dispute the charges.
- If you have outstanding debts, need assistance resolving any credit concerns or getting your credit report, please contact any of the following individuals
- Monique Coleman at the North and East Lubbock Community Development Corporation (NELCDC) – Coleman can be contacted at 1708 Crickets Ave. Lubbock, TX 79401| [email protected]; 806-747-5937, M-F 9-5.
- Crystal Gomoke at Money Management International. Gomoke can be reached at 2503 74th Street, Suite 105, Lubbock, TX 79423 / 888-845-5669 x 5945, M-F 9-5 or through email at [email protected]
- Or please work with a trusted financial representative to repair any credit issues.
- Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas can help you legal issues that may need to be resolved before you apply to the Habitat Partnership Program. State you are working with LHFH. Please contact them at 1711 Avenue J, Lubbock, TX 79401 or by calling 806-763-4557, M-F 9-5
- As part of the application process, at least six (6) months of financial information and an expense statement are required. Such financial information consists of income verification (paystubs), current housing payment (rent receipts), and bill payment receipts (electricity, gas, TV service, etc.). You will need to include all individuals age eighteen (18) and older that work as part of your application and income verification.
- When you are ready to submit your application you will also need to submit a payment for associated fees for your background check. Applications are only accepted during the open application period. Please contact Lubbock Habitat for Humanity at 806-763-4663 or view the website at www.lubbockhabitat.org to verify dates for open application periods.